Friday, December 3, 2010

MY EXPERIENCE IN SETTING UP DATA CENTRES

Since mid November, members of RWECO and CEWIT have been setting up election monitoring data center in different areas of Uganda. This was PAC in eastern Uganda, ACORD in northern Uganda and CEFORD in west Nile.

My experience as a RICNET staff which is one of the organisations composing RWECO was in many ways; I learnt more on election activities relating to technology. It’s easy to manage data /information by storing it in a system than having it in hard copy. Its easer to duplicate hardcopies. I realise that the uchanguzi system is a designed data base that delivers information so first and clear from election monitors in different locations.

I also achieved more skills and ability on networking LANs from several data centres set up. This was real good work but hectic. Running network cables across buildings is not something simple. The trainings carried on every centre were equally important to me. I hope to acquire skills since we have to set up other data centres in the west region.

Exchange of ideas and views from members of these organizations on how their running and managing was a great deal. It’s changed my thinking capacity and understanding. I acquired knowledge instead.

Besides work, it was adventure. Being my first time to move to East and Northern Uganda. Everything was new and good. People there looked a bit different from those in the west. Their life style is totally different.

However, I found a challenge in communication, language barrier. Apart from English, there was no anymore way of changing information.

Otherwise, I thank RWECO and CEWIT for efforts and huge work they are doing in preparation for 2011 elections.

By; Evelyn M.

No comments:

Post a Comment