Through a community led mechanism to enhance the dignity of children who are looked at as the minority group in society, Rwenzori Information Centers-Network under RWECO with funding from East African Children Fund, organized a neighborhood assembly about violence against children in Karambi Sub County at Kamasasa primary on 8th, May. 2016.
The assembly was attended by approximately one hundred community members among which included, the chairman LCI, LCII chairperson, councilors, senior elders, Para-social workers, women groups, youth groups, pupils of Kamasasa primary school and other children from the community. During assembly people cited out the cases of violence the children are facing in Karambi sub county among which included; Early marriages, children headed families hindering children from concentrating on their class work, taking children to the market to baby sit, hard labor imposed on the children, denial of food, defilement, rape, abortion and exposing the children to alcoholism by their parents. All these being caused by lack of love in the family, alcoholism, adultery, high birth rate, ignorance, poverty among others. During the discussions, the children present were able to give testimonies of the different things that have been done to them and they don’t feel happy with them.
In conclusion, a way forward was drawn as follows;
· Advise parents to let children to school and let them stay in school.
· Go to churches and community meetings to preach the message about VAC and the need to have a violent free environment.
· Design and pass a law that will prevent parents from taking the children to the market during school days.
· Love should prevail among the married couples so that even the children can share on that love.
· A stakeholders’ meeting going to be organized to strengthen and implement what has been discussed.
· Report all cases of violence with effect with fear or favour
· People should have GOD fearing families.